Before you get going
Curtains that hang from your ceiling are called ceiling mount:
- give a sense of space and draw focus to the height of your room
- curtains are best attached to ceiling battens
- our curved tracks are perfect for bay windows with 45 degree and 90 degree angles
- great option for a straight edge ceiling and to fit inside cornices
- opt for curved, double tracks to layer curtains
- choose from 3 looks - just off the floor, touching the floor or puddled
- go for sheers for a soft and floaty look and blockout fabrics to stop all light coming in
- keep it on trend with a left stack or right stack, or pick centre opening for easy access to both sides of your window
- get the luxe look with an S fold or go traditional with pleated curtains
- for larger drops go for a longer wand or no wand at all
- combine curtains with roller blinds, giving you all the options to control light and privacy
- looking for something unique? Contact us about our designer curtain rods and different fabrics
Measuring up your bay windows for ceiling mount curtains is easy, here's how to do it:
1 Check your corner angles
Check that the angles in your bay window corners are 45 degrees or 90 degrees (at a right angle). If you're not sure or your angles are different contact us and we will help!
To check if your angles are 45 degrees grab an A4 piece of paper. Fold over a corner to touch the opposite side of the paper and so the edges on both layers of paper line up. Place the paper into a corner of your bay window. If both sides are flush with your window then your angle is 45 degrees.
To check a 90 degree angle you can hold up an A4 piece of paper into your corner and if the paper fits snugly you have a 90 degree corner.
2 Measure your widths
For your curtains to cover all 3 sides inside your bay window measure the width of your ceiling above the left, middle and right sides of your bay window from corner to corner. Begin at the outer edge of the left side and measure into the corner (where your walls or cornices meet) and write it down. If you have cornices you'll measure from the inside of your cornices.
Measure in the same way for each side of your bay window and write them down. These three measurements will be your track width.
You don't need to deduct anything for your track curves. Don't worry about measuring how much fabric you need, we'll take care of that for you based on your track width.
3 Measure your drop
Measure from your ceiling down to the floor above your left side, in the middle and right side. If you have cornices, you'll measure from the inside of your cornice. Write down the largest of all three.
Go for puddling if your 3 measurements have a greater than 10 mm difference.
4 Choose your look
For curtains just off the floor, the largest measurement you took will be your curtain drop.
For curtains touching the floor, add 5 mm to the largest measurement. This measurement will be your curtain drop.
For curtains to puddle, add between 20 to 50 mm to the largest measurement. This measurement will be your curtain drop. The more mm you add, the more fabric you'll have puddled on the floor. Yep, it's that easy. Once you order, we'll take care of everything else so that your curtains hang perfectly.
5 Choose your wand and how your curtains open
Note down which wand you want. It sounds obvious but the larger your drop, the larger your wand needs to be so you can reach it.
Also note down whether you want left stack, right stack, or centre opening curtains. Think about which side is easiest to reach, obstruction free and which part of your window you'll want to open often.
6 Call us to order your custom curtains
You can't order bay window curtains on our website currently. Please call us to order: 1300 918 390.
Our hints and tips
Want to know our top tips for measuring up like a pro?
- Give us your measurements in millimetres (mm)
- Double check all of your measurements before you order
- Always write down 'width' and 'drop' next to your measurements, so you don't reverse them by accident!
- Only give us the exact measurements we ask for. Our team custom makes your curtains to fit your windows.
- Our team makes standard deductions to your drop to account for your chosen look and tracks, so you don't have to.
- Measure every window. The beauty of each house is that each window may have slight variations in size and we want all your curtains to fit perfectly.
- We know every home is unique and we're just a phone call away if you need to chat: 1300 918 390
- For help deciding on a curtain fit you can email a photo of you window(s) to our team: firstname.lastname@example.org