Pairing Plantation Shutters with curtains can give you the best of both worlds. Plantation Shutters offer a practical solution to privacy, insulation, and light control. Adding curtains increases these benefits while adding softness and texture to a space.
Need more tips? Book an online design consultation and discover how to combine Plantation Shutters and curtains for an elevated look.
What are Plantation Shutters?
Plantation Shutters are solid window furnishings consisting of panel(s) with rotating louvers. These louvers allow you to control light and privacy, but can also be angled to let in natural light or views. The louvers can be rotated 180° in either direction.
The DIY Blinds Way
Our PolyLux® shutters are durable, washable, VOC Free, and pet and child friendly. They won’t bleach or blister when exposed to intense UV rays and are aesthetically beautiful. This quality is reflected by a 20-year warranty.
What are the benefits of pairing Plantation Shutters with curtains?
- Flexibility: Combining Plantation Shutters with curtains allows for flexibility in your room. The Plantation Shutters provide effective light and privacy control, while curtains add some colour and texture to your space. Plantation Shutters can also be customised to separate the louver movement so you can keep the bottom section closed for privacy, and open the top louvers to allow light in.
- Insulation: Plantation Shutters are a great way to add insulation to your home. They can protect rooms from both hot and cold external temperatures, so they help keep rooms cool in summer and warm in winter. Having curtains over the top of Plantation Shutters increases these benefits.
- Light control: Plantation Shutters don’t offer total light blockout. Drawing curtains over the top of them increases the darkness of the room.
- Noise control: Plantation Shutters offer good noise control. This can be amplified by adding lined curtains to offer an extra barrier, reducing the impact of external noise.
- Style: Plantation Shutters are stylish, but pairing them with curtains helps frame a window. Curtains are a great way to add texture, colour and shape to your space while still getting all the functional benefits of Plantation Shutters.
Should I pair Plantation Shutters or Roller Blinds with my curtains?
Both Plantation Shutters and Roller Blinds offer privacy, light control, and thermal insulation. However, if the windows are on the façade of your home, shutters may have better street appeal when looking in.
How do I pair Plantation Shutters and curtains?
Making sure your Plantation Shutters and curtains go together is essential when it comes to your design aesthetic. Here’s what to think about.
Our PolyLux® Shutters come in three colours: pure white, alpine white and ivory. Match your shutter colour to your architrave; ivory shutters on a vivid white architrave will make your shutters look dirty or yellow.
DIY Blinds Recommends
If you’re choosing sheer curtains, order samples and overlay the fabric against the shutter or wall to check how the curtain fabric colour can change. Matching the tone of your curtains to your shutters will ensure you’re getting a cohesive look. Pure-white shutters will go well with a cool-toned curtain such as pure white or blue-grey. Warmer-toned shutters work well with colours such as warm greys, beiges and warm whites.
Certain curtain fabrics will allow different levels of light control, insulation and privacy. All of the following curtains pair well with Plantation Shutters.
Sheer curtains over Plantation Shutters are a great look. The curtains diffuse sunlight and add texture to a room. Leave your sheer curtains closed during the day to create a luxe finish that bathes your room in filtered light. Through sheers you’ll be able to see the classic horizontal lines of shutters juxtaposed with the soft vertical folds of your curtains, adding depth to your space.
Great for: Bedrooms or living spaces where you want to add some softness to the structure and practicality of Plantation Shutters.
- Blockout curtains
These provide additional thermal insulation on top of that provided by Plantation Shutters. While the shutters won’t totally block out light, you can add blockout curtains for complete darkness.
Great for: Bedrooms, media rooms or anywhere else you need total darkness.
- Lined curtains
Lined curtains give a cosy, luxe feel and are also extremely functional. In winter they block draughts and keep the heat inside your home. In summer they prevent external heat from entering the room, helping to keep it cool. They’re always a great way to add some extra insulation to your Plantation Shutters while also adding soft folds of fabric to the space, and they can reduce street noise.
Great for: Bedrooms, living areas and home offices.
How do I install Plantation Shutters with curtains?
Plantation Shutters and curtains need to be measured and installed correctly. At DIY Blinds we give you all the information and expertise to do this yourself at home. Access all our do it yourself guides here.
Not sure what works? Send us a photo of your space and book a free online design consultation so we can help you find the best solution.
DIY Blinds, the new way to buy blinds
Get advice from our highly trained Design Consultants on 1300 918 390, or book a free online design consultation.
Choose your samples
Choose your free samples online and we’ll deliver them by express post to your door.
Measure up like a pro with our online guides so you can get a quick price guide.
Customise your order
Choose your blinds, shutters or curtains, order online, then we’ll take care of the rest.
We’ll deliver your Australian-made blinds direct for you to install using our easy guides.
Prefer not to install it yourself? We’ll do it for you. Check if professional installation is available in your area.
Have a question? We’re here to help
1300 918 390
Mon to Fri 8am - 6pm & Sat 10am - 3pm