Choosing the right blinds for your home can turn a simple room into a beautiful space. Not only do blinds have functional benefits such as providing privacy, light control, and insulation, they also add warmth, texture, and atmosphere.
Not sure if you need Roller or Roman Blinds? Discover everything you need to know about choosing the right blinds for your home.
Book an online design consultation and find the right blinds for your home
Why should I have blinds in my home?
- Insulation and reduced energy costs. Glass window panes allow heat and light to easily enter or escape a room, making it difficult to maintain the required temperature. When blinds cover a window, they act as insulation, helping to keep a room cool in summer and warm in winter, and helping you save on energy bills.
- Privacy. Blinds are an easy way to provide privacy. Light filtering blinds provide daytime privacy whereas blockout blinds provide total privacy, day or night. Sunscreen Blinds let you see out, but don’t let passers by see in, so you can enjoy a view while maintaining your privacy.
- Light control. Sun glare through a window can make it difficult to see a TV or computer screen. Light filtering blinds diffuse the harsher rays and give your room a soft glow. They can also protect your furniture from being damaged through prolonged sun exposure.
- Affordability. Blinds are a cost-effective way of adding insulation, privacy and light control to a room. At DIY Blinds we have a wide range of options to suit your budget. All your orders are custom-made in Australia and delivered to your door, saving you time and money.
- Ease of use. Blinds are easy to control. Either choose a manual chain or motorise your blinds so they can be controlled automatically by a remote or voice activation, even when you’re not at home.
- Style. Whatever the style of your home, there’s a blind to complement it. Whether you want minimalist Roller Blinds, an elegant Roman Blind or a clever Panel Glide Blind, there’s an option for you. You can customise blinds in your home so you have matching fabrics across different products for a cohesive look.
Which are the best blinds for privacy?
- Blockout blinds. These window coverings provide complete privacy. They’re also great at creating a dark environment during the day in a nursery or media room.
- Sunscreen Blinds. These allow you to see out but don’t let passers by see in. They also block 95% of UV rays so lower the chance of fading in furniture fabric and are ideal for reducing heat and glare while still letting in some light.
- Light filtering Blinds. These blinds offer daytime privacy while still letting light in, and are ideal for hiding unsightly views such as walls or fences. They work well in living areas.
What’s the difference between a recess-fit and a face-fit blind?
A recess-fitted blind sits inside the window frame. Depending on the thickness of the window frame around the glass, it may let some light in. Because they’re tucked out of the way, they offer a clean aesthetic and can help maximise space in small rooms.
Face-fitted blinds sit outside the window frame. This allows the window to be completely covered by the blind and means the blind offers extra privacy and helps prevent light entering a room. It can also make your windows appear larger.
The DIY Blinds Way
If you’re not confident doing it yourself, DIY Blinds can help you design, measure and install your blinds so you get the right style for your home that fits exactly how you want it to.
How do I choose the right blinds for my home?
Here’s what to think about when you’re deciding which blinds are right for your home.
Different fabrics allow varying amounts of light to filter through, giving you a range of privacy levels. Sleek fabrics keep things streamlined and minimal, while chunkier, coarser fabrics can bring warmth and texture to a space.
The style of the blinds you choose for your home will depend on how you need them to perform, and the aesthetic you like. Learn more about the different style of blinds and how to motorise your blinds here.
The DIY Blinds Way
All our blinds are custom-made and we offer more than 300 fabric and colour combinations to choose from. DIY Blinds is excited to announce our exclusive blind fabrics and colours range, launching in 2023. Watch this space.
How do I install blinds?
For blinds to be effective they need to be fitted, measured and installed correctly. DIY Blinds custom make your blinds so you get the perfect look. Follow our step-by-step guides to measuring and installing your own blinds.
DIY Blinds, the new way to buy blinds
Get advice from our highly trained Design Consultants on 1300 918 390, or book a free online design consultation.
Choose your samples
Choose your free samples online and we’ll deliver them by express post to your door.
Measure up like a pro with our online guides so you can get a quick price guide.
Customise your order
Choose your blinds, shutters or curtains, order online, then we’ll take care of the rest.
We’ll deliver your Australian-made blinds direct for you to install using our easy guides.
Prefer not to install it yourself? We’ll do it for you. Check if professional installation is available in your area.
Have a question? We’re here to help
1300 918 390
Mon to Fri 8am - 6pm & Sat 10am - 3pm